Monday, February 1, 2010

Albright Knox Art Gallery

Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?

1. Jackson Pollock’s Convergence made a great impact on me. I am so intrigued by the painting style; this work is completely abstract with no recognizable objects. I want to create a piece like this; it looks like a good way to relieve some stress.

2. Robert Motherwell’s Elegy to the Spanish Republic made an impact on me. It is amazing to me how many paintings Motherwell has created in this style.

3. Mark Rothko’s Orange and Yellow made an impression on me. I think it is an awesome idea to experiment painting with different materials other than a brush; the colors caught my eye when walking by.

4. Jasper John’s Numbers in color had an impact on me. This piece caught my eye, I remember the first time I saw it, I thought they were letters. Then once stepping closer I noticed they were actually numbers. I would love to try to recreate a piece like this.

5. Jorge Pardo’s Untitled had an impression on me. It took me a while to figure it out, I was intrigued by all of the colors and shapes, and how nicely they work together.

Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?

1. I felt a connection with Joan Miro’s Carnival of Harlequin. The painting has so much going on in it, just like my life does. I am amazed by all the images in the piece. One could spend a great amount of time exploring this image.

2. I felt a connection with Giacomo Balla’s Dynamism of a dog on a leash. I love the way this painting looks, it looks as if the dog and the person are walking so fast that you can see the where they are, where they were, and where they are going to be.

3. I felt a connection with Leonardo Cremonini’s Boat on the Beach. When I look at this piece I feel as though I am looking into it, not just at it. I feel as if I am a part of the painting, the shapes are very intriguing.

4. I felt a connection with Henri Mattise’s La Musique. The interaction of the people in the scene, how they are jus hanging out, playing music and the vivid colors brought me to look closer. I felt like I could relate to this piece.

5. I felt a connection with Andy Warhol’s 100 cans. I am definitely a perfectionist and love unity. I love how all of the cans are the same and unifies this piece as a whole.

Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?

1. I want to know more about Lucas Samara’s Mirrored Room. I think that it would be interesting to know how he came up with the idea for a mirrored room and how long it took to create this.

2. I want to know more about Thomas Lanigan-Shmidt’s Plastic detergent bottles bob in Venetian canals as green grass billows in tourist shops. This piece is a mixed media foil construction on wood. I would like to know more about the process and other works by the artist. Even the name is creative.

3. I would like to know more about Giorgio de Chirico’s the anguish of departure. I would like to know what the artist was thinking and if this was painted with a place in mind, at the place, or if it was completely imagined.

4. I want to know more about Amedeo Modigliani’s The servant girl. I want to know if this girl was real, I want to know if this was the way the girl would like to be portrayed.

5. I want to know more about Paul Gaugin’s Spirit of the dead watching. I want to know where his inspiration came from. I would also like to know more about burlap.

No comments:

Post a Comment